The world is shaken up. That is a fact that cannot be ignored. Right now, many businesses and schools are closed forcing thousands to work from home for an extended period of time. For many that are used to leaving home for work, this can be a big adjustment. And, if you are like me, the day to day functions of the office must go on. We have to make this happen even with additional distractions blessing you with their presence. Let’s talk about a few ways that you can maximize your work at home time.
- Create a Routine. I had to start off with this one because this one is actually the hardest (in my opinion) to establish. You will need to make sure that you stay as close as consistent to your regular scheduled work life as possible. If you don’t know what your routine is, take a moment to jot down what you normally do from morning to evening.
- Wake Up On Time. Don’t take this time lightly and use it to sleep in. Set your alarm and get up! Your commute time will be shortened so you can enjoy a few extra minutes eating breakfast and fully opening your eyes for the day.
- Get Dressed. You don’t have to be dressed for the MET gala or in your finest ensemble but Get. Out. Of. The. PJs!!! Your pajamas and any other outfit that screams Sleepy Time Comfort will drag your energy and your focus. Shower, wash your face, get dressed and put on shoes. For me, I have to add a little makeup and lashes for me to fully feel awake. (Not accepting your judgement, Girlfriend)
- Establish a Designated Work Area. Scout out the hot spots in your home where you can have an ample amount of lighting and sturdy desk space for you to carry out your daily tasks. If you haven’t already, maybe this is the time to create the home office that you have been planning.
- Plan Your Day. Pull out your calendar, notepad, or daily planner and begin to schedule what needs your attention. Deadlines will not wait on your favorite Netflix show to end. Make the best of your work day and get the tasks done.
- Take a Break. Sometimes, it can be easy to work, work, work, work, work without the countless spur of the moment office visits, multiple calls, and impromptu in person meetings. Be sure to schedule time away from your computer and go for a walk, stretch your muscles, read a book, speak your affirmations, eat your lunch. A break is needed, friend!
- Get off on Time. Before your work day ends, schedule the next day. Review your routine so that you can stay on task. Step away from your desk/computer and relax. Don’t relax too much because you do have work the next day.
Again, working from home is an adjustment if this concept is new to you. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to practice discipline and crush your goals without someone telling you to do something. If all possible, don’t steer too far from your normal work routine because this difficult time that our country and the world is facing due to COVID-19, will soon pass.
Praying that you stay safe and healthy, friend!